Stewardship of our Parish Resources
Across the Parishes of Camberwell, Balwyn, Deepdene and Surrey Hills Wattle Park we strive to achieve wise and faithful stewardship of our assets and to operate within a responsible and sustainable financial framework. We place high priority on ethical business transactions and on transparent accountability.
To this end, we apply the following practices:
- We develop and monitor a fiscally responsible annual budget (capital, operational and cash flow) and ensure that proper financial controls and systems are in place;
- We ensure compliance with established standards for financial accountability;
- We employ qualified staff and draw on the expertise of parishioners with high-level finance experience to oversee our budget and financial practices;
- We allocate resources to maximise our parishes’ visions and to achieve the strategic priorities of each parish;
- We publish our financial year statements in the Annual Report of the Parishes of Camberwell and Deepdene & Balwyn.
Annual Report 2020
The 2020 Annual Report is the first report that incorporates our three parishes: Camberwell, Balwyn Deepdene and Surrey Hills Wattle Park. The report has reflections from the three respective Chairs of each Parish Council and glimpses into the sacramental, learning, pastoral, outreach and financial life of our parishes. The ‘parishes at a glance’ give you an indication of the size of our parishes and the high rates of participation of those who attend our churches.
In a year in which we suffered from COVID-19 lockdown for so much of the year and our churches were closed, a great deal did go on in our parishes during 2020 please take the time to read our current report and past reports.
Parishes’ Finance Committee
Our Parish Priest holds ultimate responsibility for ensuring that our parishes operate within a responsible and sustainable financial framework. He is supported in this responsibility by Finance Committees that serves our parishes.
The key role of the Finance Committee is to assist the Parish Priest and the Parish Councils for each of the parishes of Camberwell, Balwyn Deepdene and Surrey Hills Wattle Park, in managing the financial affairs of each parish. The Committee’s advisory and oversight areas include:
- Stewardship contributions and the renewal program;
- Annual parish budgets and annual reporting to Archdiocese and to parishioners;
- The financial, business and corporate governance aspects of the Barnsbury Retirement Village;
- Stewardship of all the parish assets.
As Stewardship Coordinator, Kate Baines’ role responsibilities include property maintenance across the parishes, day-to-day financial management of the three parishes, and membership of the Parishes’ Finance Committee, Investment Strategy Committee, and Barnsbury Governance Committee. Kate also plays a key role in liaison with and support of the Barnsbury Retirement Village and Villa Maria Catholic Homes.